Friday, September 20, 2013

and we are talking about guns again.....

I just don't know, really, what is the answer....

but here are the things I do know.

1)  I grew up around guns

2) I knew there was one on the top of my parents wardrobe

3)  I knew not to touch it

4)  I never did

5) I never even tried to

6)  they were used for hunting, but they were also there for protection if needed.  No one ever broke into our house and my dad never went on a "man hunt" looking for criminals - but I remember two specific things about my childhood clearly.

* one time there was an escaped convict labeled as "armed and dangerous" and my dad got his gun ready.   I felt safe and secure.  I felt confident that my dad would protect his family.

* another time, when I was older - I was cold in the middle of the night.  We had a linen closet in the hall and I got up to get an extra blanket.  Also in the linen closet, (for some reason) was a can of furniture polish.  When I pulled out the blanket, the furniture polish hit the floor and my dad was out of his room in what seemed like 2 seconds.  He was ready to protect his family again.

and lastly,

7)  NO ONE for my 19 years living at home EVER stole a gun and killed anyone.
     NO ONE ever accidentally shot a sibling playing with guns.
     NO ONE ever shot anyone at school
     There were NO issues with guns

The flags at my kids schools have been at half-staff more time than I can count from gun related violence.  Are my kids growing up in a different "America" than I grew up in?

I guess they are..... so the question for me is:
What happened to the America I grew up in, and can we get it back?

I found this blog interesting....   READ HERE

Many, many prayers for those affected this week by the violence at the Navy Yard.






No comments:

Post a Comment