Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9 -11 memories

Just as my grandmother can remember details of WWII,

and my mother knows where she was when Kennedy was shot....

I will never forget the moments of the morning of September 11th, 2001.

We were stationed in Port Hueneme, and Zion was just a few days past one month old.




Mike was getting ready for work and, in mother of a newborn fashion, I stumbled to the recliner
and methodically clicked on the TV.

There was only speculation then, as live images of smoke from the first plane crash was being shown.

And then the second plane -

and then although hours pasts in front of the TV,

it seems like slow motion as your heart catches
up with what your brain has already accepted.

Being near the DC area this year brings me closer to those emotions of 12 years ago.

We have past memorial "chunks" of cement in several different places, including the hospital where Michael had his surgery last month.  

The hospital is overwhelmingly huge, and yet, with a background
as a nurse, I can imagine the halls crowded with dusty people and the panic as medical personnel worked for hours in what I call, "auto-pilot".  

It's a state where your training takes over your emotions,
and you just do what you need to do.  
But the emotions do come, later.

The planning for the museum and memorial have been years in the making.
And there is even a series about it on the History Channel.

You can view some clips HERE and HERE.



I want to go to the museum, and then, I don't.


Visiting the Civil Rights Museum this summer in Montgomery has had me in a constant state of wondering all summer.   It has disturbed me,
stirred me,
provoked me,
caused deep emotion inside of me.







But ultimately, confronting hard things, processing them, letting go of bitterness will create in us something better.


Flag flown over the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor, HI

No comments:

Post a Comment